“When a client hires me, they get someone with 30-plus years of OSHA experience. I have handled everything from minor violations to multiple fatality cases."
— Trey Hendershot
As a business owner or health and safety officer, you work hard to build a work environment that is efficient, profitable, productive, and safe for your team. Despite your tireless efforts, you may still find yourself facing an OSHA inspection, issued a citation or, worse, dealing with a catastrophic accident. When that happens, an experienced attorney can provide you with the right guidance to ensure the safety of your workforce, as well as protect your rights as an employer. As the Managing Shareholder of Hendershot Cowart P.C., I look out for the best interest of our clients by utilizing my team’s many years of combined experience in OSHA compliance and defense.
Our tagline is: "Your Attorney. Your Team. Your Law Firm for Life." And that's true. It's my approach to client service, and it lays the foundation for our collaboration – now and into the future.
Our OSHA Defense Team Is Dedicated to Your Success
This dedication means we are actively involved with you, your business interests, and your regulatory and legal challenges. Simply put, I am genuinely invested in protecting your venture, as is every attorney who works here. We are aggressive in pursuing your goals. We work to exceed your expectations using our experience, knowledge, and expertise.
My Goals Are Based on Your Goals
My decision to practice law was inspired by the strong work ethic of my father and grandfather. Being a successful attorney requires dedication and experience. Whether designing custom OSHA compliance and training plans for your worksite or defending against a citation, I am continuously seeking the best possible outcome for you and your business.
I have extensive experience with OSHA inspections and citation defense. I have handled everything from minor violations for failure to provide PPE to multiple fatality cases. I have successfully utilized a range of defenses to challenge or overturn citations, including unavoidable employee misconduct, impossibility of compliance, multiemployer worksite, employer cited under wrong standard, and more. Our firm is ready to help you meet OSHA's compliance and reporting requirements, as well as help you respond quickly and correctly when problems arise.
Clients Receive the Attention of All Attorneys
Every week, our OSHA practice section collaborates as a team to discuss the various aspects of your case. Every attorney participates and is encouraged to provide research and input, even if that attorney is not actively working on your case. This approach allows us to bring creative solutions and varied voices of experience to your OSHA challenge. And should an incident develop into civil litigation, my entire law firm's resources, expertise, and experience are available for your matter.
My Faith Is the Ethical Foundation for my Law Firm
I am not shy about my faith. I am a Christian and have played an active role in the church for most of my life. Faith plays a major role in my approach to client service and case preparation. We don't cut corners. We are adamant about doing the best job that we can for you. And when the work is done, I personally review our clients' monthly bills and efforts recorded to be sure that you received the benefit for which you were billed. Not every law firm can make this claim.
Working Toward your Continued Success
My mission is to continue to gain the trust and confidence of the business owners, executives, HSE officers, and entrepreneurs I have the privilege of representing. Let me help protect your rights and achieve your goals, as I have done for so many friends and clients over my more than three decades as a lawyer. I will zealously represent your matter with my personal attention, experience, and unparalleled preparation.
Primary Focus & Experience
- OSHA Compliance and Defense
- Business Litigation and Arbitration
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Successfully represented an underground utility contractor in OSHA litigation involving two worksite fatalities, from the initial inspection and issuance of the citation to the trial before an OSHA Administrative Law Judge and subsequent appeal
- Overturned an OSHA citation for a demolition company cited for a job site fatality on a multiemployer worksite
- Successfully represented a south Texas pipeline company incorrectly cited for violating OSHA’s Excavation standard
- Successfully represented employers and contractors with issues ranging from fall protection, hazard communications, respiratory protection standards, machine guarding, asbestos abatement, personal protective equipment and life-saving equipment, scaffolding, eye and face protection, confined space, cave-in hazards, lock out/tag out, trenching and excavating, and general duty clause violations
- Represented general contractors and subcontractors in litigation and arbitration alleging construction defects and construction delays
- Successfully represented Municipal Utility District in an appeal before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Successfully represented founder of multi-million-dollar software company in hostile freeze-out attempt
- Represented trust beneficiary in complex breach of fiduciary duty litigation against a large financial institution
- Litigated multiple partnership and shareholder disputes ranging from corporate control, buy outs, breach of fiduciary duty, and trade secrets to dissolution and minority shareholder oppression
- Successfully represented and defended partners in a multi-million-dollar concrete and steel fabrication company in an attempted hostile takeover
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Military Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- J.D., South Texas Collage of Law
- B.B.A., Texas A&M University, Distinguished Military Graduate
- Best Lawyer: Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, 2021 edition
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Lawyers, 2020
- The American Registry: Distinguished Attorney, 2020
- The American Registry: Houston's Top Lawyers, 2019
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Professionals, 2019
- The American Registry: Distinguished Attorney, 2019
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Professionals, 2018