“When a client hires me, they get someone with 30-plus years of experience who is going to pay very personal attention to each and every matter that comes across my desk."
— Trey Hendershot
As a business owner or partner, you have worked tirelessly to build a livelihood that you are passionate about and proud of. The assistance of an experienced attorney can help ensure that your business has the right guidance to protect your assets through any business dispute or transaction. As the managing shareholder of Hendershot Cowart, P.C., I look out for the best interest of our clients by utilizing our many years of combined experience practicing business law, business litigation, health law, and regulatory compliance.
Our tagline is: "Your Attorney. Your Team. Your Law Firm for Life." And that's true. It's my approach to client service, and it lays the foundation for our collaboration – now and into the future.
Our Business Law Team Is Dedicated to Your Success
This dedication means we are actively involved with you, your business interests, and your legal challenges. Simply put, I am genuinely invested in building your venture, or in resolving your legal challenge, as is every attorney who works here. We are aggressive in pursuing your goals. We work to exceed your expectations using our experience, knowledge, and expertise.
My Goals Are Based on Your Goals
My decision to practice law was inspired by the strong work ethic of my father and grandfather. Being a successful attorney requires dedication and experience. Whether reviewing an employment contract or providing representation in complex business litigation or a governmental regulatory investigation, I am continuously seeking the best possible outcome for you and your business.
I have extensive experience representing businesses from startup to full operation, from helping file initial incorporation to managing multimillion-dollar transactions and litigation. I have counseled thousands of clients through litigation, arbitration, mergers and acquisitions, and with OSHA citation defense, Texas Medical Board and other licensing investigations, Anti-Kickback Statute and OIG investigations, fraud and abuse investigations, and STARK Law compliance.
Many of the clients I have represented for decades continue to flourish with my firm’s ongoing counsel. And when the inevitable litigation comes along, I've helped these same clients enforce their rights, defend against suits, and prevent future problems with sound regulatory and legal guidance.
Clients Receive the Attention of All Attorneys
Every week, each practice section collaborates as a team to discuss the various aspects of your case. Every attorney participates and is encouraged to provide input, even if that attorney is not actively working on your case. This approach allows us to create unique solutions for the success of your venture or the resolution of your legal challenge. My entire law firm's resources, expertise, and experience are applied to your matter.
My Faith Is the Ethical Foundation for my Law Firm
I am not shy about my faith. I am a Christian and have played an active role in the church for most of my life. Faith plays a major role in my approach to client service and case preparation. We don't cut corners. We are adamant about doing the best job that we can for you. And when the work is done, I personally review our clients' monthly bills and efforts recorded to be sure that you received the benefit for which you were billed. Not every law firm can make this claim.
Working Toward your Continued Success
My mission is to continue to gain the trust and confidence of the business owners, executives, and entrepreneurs I have the privilege of representing. Let me help take your business or healthcare practice to the next level, as I have done for so many friends and clients over my more than three decades as a business lawyer. I will zealously represent your matter with my personal attention, experience, and unparalleled preparation.
Primary Focus & Experience
- Business Litigation and Arbitration
- Health law
- Regulatory Compliance and Investigation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Successfully represented Municipal Utility District in an appeal before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Successfully represented an underground utility contractor in OSHA litigation involving two worksite fatalities
- Successfully represented founding physician in breakup litigation over large, multi-specialty practice
- Lead counsel for seller in a private, for-profit hospital sale to a state university system
- Corporate formation and set up of numerous medical practices including family practice, anesthesiology, cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, neonatology, neurosurgery, dermatology, nephrology, otolaryngology, pulmonology, radiology, rheumatology, neurology, internal medicine, pain management and psychology
- Successfully represented physicians and medical students in all aspects of medical peer review proceedings and hospital staff privilege issues including summary suspension, due process hearings and appeals
- Established compliance programs for physicians, pharmacies, medical groups, and medical device suppliers
- Successfully represented founder of multi-million-dollar software company in hostile freeze-out attempt
- Represented trust beneficiary in complex breach of fiduciary duty litigation against a large financial institution
- Represented physician practice in litigation involving complex partnership dispute affecting multiple affiliated companies with multi-millions of dollars at stake
- Represented Freestanding Emergency Center through trial and appeal phase in dispute with health insurance companies regarding payment of fees
- Represented general contractors and subcontractors in litigation and arbitration alleging construction defects and construction delays
- Successfully resolved multiple OSHA citations on behalf of employers and contractors with issues ranging from fall protection, asbestos abatement, personal protective equipment, confined space, lock out/tag out, trenching, and general duty clause violations
- Litigated multiple partnership and shareholder disputes ranging from corporate control, buy outs, breach of fiduciary duty, and trade secrets to dissolution and minority shareholder oppression
- Represented physicians and other professionals in litigation enforcing and defending against covenants not to compete and theft of trade secrets
- Successfully represented numerous physicians in licensure proceedings before the Texas Medical Board in allegations such as alleged wrongful death, resignation from medical staff while under investigation, inappropriate procedures, improper professional relations, and failure to diagnose
- Successfully defended physicians, physician practices, billing companies and medical providers in multiple OIG and AG investigations alleging improper billing activities or violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law
- Represented e-prescribing company in litigation alleging patent infringement
- Successfully represented and defended partners in a multi-million-dollar concrete and steel fabrication company in an attempted hostile takeover
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Military Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- J.D., South Texas Collage of Law
- B.B.A., Texas A&M University, Distinguished Military Graduate
- Best Lawyer: Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, 2021 edition
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Lawyers, 2020
- The American Registry: Distinguished Attorney, 2020
- The American Registry: Houston's Top Lawyers, 2019
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Professionals, 2019
- The American Registry: Distinguished Attorney, 2019
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Professionals, 2018